Friday, May 27, 2005

Spooky?

Okay, I think we've finally come across a real fear period. Today was the first day I saw real evidence of teething, and I know some pups can get weirded out during teething. Tonight Laev ran barking from a toddler -- okay, it was the first one she'd seen, so I didn't think too much of it, though I did note that it was the second time that I'd ever seen her actively retreat from something. (The first was an animatronic singing and dancing hamster, at 8 weeks old; I'd run, too.)

Nothing phased her at Petsmart, not other dogs, friendly people, my purse falling on her head, nothing. Then I went to my parents' and she was spooked by my dad. That's odd.... Then he dropped a sweatshirt and she ran. Very, very, very odd for this dog! She continued to regard him and particular the worrisome clothing with concern for some time.

I guess I'm just going to have to be careful of socialization at this time, making sure she has lots of positive experiences. Just funny to me that she's finally acting spooky.

Last night I walked back in the middle of the night, having left Laev penned outside while I was gone for a while. I walked up my 1/3 mile gravel drive and heard ferocious barking from a distance of 100 feet or so. "Who's that?" I wondered. I knew it wasn't Inky or Shakespeare, both of whom were inside and both of whom have readily recognizable voices. I wondered if a neighbor's dog had gotten loose and ended up at my place. But no, it was Laev! doing her best guard dog routine. Quite impressive, actually; she might have scared off a real intruder. She didn't sound small. And most intruders wouldn't have recognized that she was simply alarmed and trying to warn me away. But she was quite happy to recognize me and welcomed me home.

She's now asleep on a pile of laundry. Cute pup.

No comments: