Friday, October 07, 2005

FEMA testing & media prejudice

We went this morning to observe FEMA Search & Rescue testing. Laev had nothing to do there, of course, but she and I played for a while and then she played with one of the certifying judges (tug). And that's the end of Laev's part in this post.

The testing was interesting. I was passingly familiar with it, but I'd never seen it before. There were several different phases: obedience, committment to scent (at least 30 seconds of continuous barking to indicate a victim), directability, and search on a rubble pile.

A TV crew came out to tape, which I thought was great. With all the BSL (breed-specific legislation) out there and pending, dogs need all the positive media they can get! Even my county is trying to sneak in BSL under the radar. We're fighting that, by the way!

Anyway, the news team got footage of a Labrador and then of a German Shepherd. They disappeared immediately before the pit bull came out to work, and I was disappointed at the unlucky timing. If the city is considering banning pit bulls (and other breeds/types of dog), they should be seeing what the dogs can offer!

The pit bull finished and left the field. And the news team reappeared suddenly, just in time to tape a yellow Labrador.

Am I the only person who thinks this looks like an deliberate attempt to leave out images of useful, life-saving pit bulls?

1 comment:

judi said...

Yea, I think the media plays a big part in the BSL crap.

That is too bad. I sure am glad Targot is keeping that bull terrier on their commericals.

Judi